Serves : 6-8 Prep Time : 20 Min Plus 20 Min Standing Time Cook Time : 1 Hr 45 Min
- 2 kg/4 lb/8 oz Smoked gammon in 1 piece
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp clear honey
Let’s Make It
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree celsius/ 350 degree fahrenheit/ Gas mark 4. put the ham into a large saucepan with the bay leaves and cover with cold water. bring to the boil cover, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes. drain well
- Put the ham into a roasting tin and cover loosely with foil. bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Remove the ham from the oven (DO NOT TURN OFF THE OVEN). take off the foil and place the ham on a board. carefully remove the skin with a sharp knife, leaving an even layer of fat on the meat. score lines though the fat layer, criss-crossing to make a diamond pattern. return the meat to the tin.
- Put the garlic, mustard , hoisin sauce and honey into a bowl and stir to combine, spread half the mixture over the fat layer of the meat, pressing it into the cuts.
- Return the ham to the oven and bake for 15 minutes, remove from the oven, spread with the remaining glaze, then bake for a further 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Cover loosely with foil and leave to stand for 20 minutes before carving into slices. skim the fat from the juices and serve them with the meat as a sauce.