Serves : 6 Prep Time : 10 Mins Cook Time: 8 Hours
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 3 pounds beef chuck, cubed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces pearl or cippolini onions, peeled
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 quart cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1¼ cups red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Mashed potatoes, for serving
Let’s Make It
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from the skillet and transfer to the bowl of a slow cooker.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and add each piece to the skillet in an even layer (work in batches if needed). Sear until well browned on each side, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the flour evenly over the beef and bacon, then stir to combine. Add the onions, carrots, mushrooms and garlic and stir gently to combine.
- Add the beef broth, red wine, tomato paste, bay leaf and butter. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Stir in the thyme and serve garnished with the parsley.